Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's a new dawn, it's a new day

It's a new life for me, and I'm feeling good~

It's a Michael Buble kind of day. The good news is, the dark cloud following me around yesterday has lifted and it's a new day. Probably not due to anything except a change of attitude, although I think the oysters and red wine for dinner last night didn't hurt! It was a great night with Nona and her friends (of all ages). My night was spent primarily entertaining Gage, who just turned 1 last week and had a smile to melt your heart. I'm such a sucker for a baby, I've never met one I didn't immediately want to take home. However I usually want to give them back after a few hours... The convenience of them only being borrowed. :-)

We've officially hit that age, friends. The age where our peers begin procreating like rabbits and we should probably start shopping for baby gifts in bulk at Sam's. You laugh, but one of my bests had a baby late November, one is due in April, another in May, and I swear I see baby bump updates from at least a half dozen other facebook friends on a weekly basis. It's gotten to the point where my girlfriend Jess left me a voicemail the other day that said "I have exciting news, and no, I'm not pregnant!" We're at the point we have to qualify good news. Keep it coming! I am quite pleased to continue being "Aunt MC" for a few more years.

I'm amazed at those of you who pull it off, though. Many moms I know still work, at least part time. Many also go to the gym, cook (healthy) meals for their families, and entertain friends on a regular basis. I'm lucky to get to work, the gym, make supper, and remember to feed the cat. I don't keep live plants because they don't meow when they're hungry (or thirsty) so their chance for survival is nil. When Adam lived nearby, he was lucky to get a homecooked meal a few times a week. In some ways I'm a much better girlfriend 800 miles away!

Gage's mom (baby from last night) is a "stay-at-home" mom. Yeah, right. That is the busiest woman I've ever seen. She makes jewelry, oyster shell art, helps run her husband's charter fishing business, mother to 7 yr old and 1 yr old boys, does hair out of her home, and oh, on the side, is working on ripping up the tile floors in their house. Holy mackrel. And hosts friends and family for oyster roasts on a regular basis. And is super-fit.

I guess we all need something to aspire to. For the time being I think I'll stick with feeding Sperry on a regular basis, getting to the gym, cooking regularly for Nona and I, and being the best long-distance girlfriend, daughter, and friend I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment